San Francisco Bay Area Friday Morning News Roundup
Oakland: Update: Youth Shot By Police Wasn't Involved in Robbery
An Oakland police officer responding to a report of an armed robbery near a downtown restaurant on Wednesday night shot and injured a teenager who wasn't involved in the robbery, Police Chief Howard Jordan said Thursday.
"The outcome of this incident was unfortunate for all involved and will get the review it needs," Jordan.
Jordan said the incident began at about 9:55 p.m. Wednesday when police received a report that a female employee at the popular Le Cheval restaurant at 1007 Clay St. had been robbed at knifepoint near the eatery.
He said the person who reported the robbery described the suspects as three black males between the ages of 22 and 26 on bicycles, and said one was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt.
The witness called back several times to report that he was following three males he believed to be the suspects, and that one appeared to be a teenager, the chief said.
In one call, at 10:04 p.m., the witness said the suspects appeared to be attempting to assault or rob a victim, and in another call at 10:07 p.m., he said the suspects were assaulting someone, Jordan said.
The chief said that when four officers arrived in the area shortly after the final phone call, the witness directed them to three males.
Jordan said that when the officers approached the males in the 1000 block of Jefferson Street, a block away from Le Cheval, one of the officers shot one of the youths, saying later that he had perceived a threat.
Jordan said Thursday he could not yet disclose what the threat was because details of the confrontation are still being investigated.
He said the young male was shot in the face and suffered a graze wound to his lower right jaw.
He was treated for his injuries at a hospital and has since been released.
Jordan said investigators later determined that the three young males, including the person who was shot, were not involved in the robbery near Le Cheval and were all 15 or 16 years old.
They were not armed, he said.
They were detained briefly but were then released, he said.
SF: Board Votes To Seek Sanctions Against Pilot Who Struck Bridge
A state board Thursday decided to seek the suspension or revocation of the license of the pilot of an oil tanker that struck the Bay Bridge in January.
The state's Board of Pilot Commissioners voted unanimously at a hearing in San Francisco Thursday morning to file a formal accusation against Guy Kleess and temporarily suspend his state pilot license.
Kleess was piloting the 752-foot Overseas Reymar when it struck a fender on a tower of the bridge's western span at about 11:15 a.m. on Jan. 7.
No oil spilled from the boat and no one aboard was injured.
The incident caused about $1.6 million in damage to the ship and bridge fender, according to a report released Thursday by an incident review committee for the state board.
While Kleess' license is suspended, he will not be able to operate any ships pending a legal proceeding with the state's Office of Administrative Hearings.
At Thursday's hearing, executive director of the board Allen Garfinkle briefed the commissioners on the report, which outlined the factors that led to the vessel striking the bridge.
Garfinkle called Kleess "complacent" and said he was responsible for the accident because he "relied on his past routine" rather than taking the day's conditions into account.
According to the report, Kleess relied solely on a 10-cm radar used for longer distances while passing under the bridge in conditions that included poor visibility because of fog.
The report cited his lack of situational awareness and adequate communication with personnel on the ship and authorities who control boat traffic around the bridge, concluding that he "failed to exercise the diligence which other pilots similarly situated would ordinarily have exercised."
Garfinkle played an audio recording from the vessel at Thursday's hearing in which Kleess could be heard talking on a satellite phone until shortly before the accident.
Just afterward, he could be heard on the recording saying "Oh s---."
The report includes the transcript of an interview with Kleess, who tried to turn the boat away from the bridge fender shortly before impact.
"There wasn't much time between when I decided I had to change my span to when I knew I was really in trouble," Kleess said in the interview.
"It was obvious pretty early on in the turn and certainly when I gave it a full hard to port, I knew we were."
Oakland: Off-Duty Paramedic Shot Tuesday Dies in Hospital
An off-duty paramedic who was shot while driving in the Oakland Hills on Tuesday was pronounced dead at 3:53 p.m. Thursday, police said.
Quinn Boyer, 34, had worked for Santa Clara County Ambulance for the past two years and had worked as a paramedic for a total of five years, according to company spokeswoman Monica Gomez.
Sgt. Arturo Bautista said it appears that someone in another vehicle shot Boyer shortly before noon Tuesday and that Boyer then crashed his car down a ravine in the 5200 block of Keller Avenue.
Bautista said the motive for the shooting is not yet clear, although police are looking at the possibility that it may have stemmed from a robbery attempt.
He said police haven't identified a suspect or made any arrests.
"Our hearts are heavy with emotion and we certainly want to extend our thoughts and prayers to his family and friends as they cope," a statement released by the Santa Clara County Ambulance Thursday afternoon said.
"Quinn was very well liked by all of his colleagues and was very dedicated in his role as a paramedic."
The company said it will have counselors on hand to help employees deal with the loss.
Gomez said employees at Santa Clara County Ambulance previously had to cope with the tragedy that befell another colleague, Bryan Stow, who was beaten two years ago at Dodgers Stadium in Los Angeles after the San Francisco Giants played the Dodgers on Opening Day.
Stow suffered brain damage and his treatment is ongoing. Oakland police said anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the homicide unit at (510) 238-3821.
Berkeley: Mayor Bates Betting on Cal Women's Basketball Team Win in Final Four
Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates is betting on the University of California at Berkeley women's basketball team when they make their debut appearance in the Final Four NCAA Tournament.
The No.2-seed team left Thursday morning with a spirited send-off on campus before taking off from Oakland International Airport where airport staff surprised the team with balloons, a banner and well-wishes at the gate, airport spokesman Scott Yamasaki said.
They jetted off to New Orleans where they will play No. 5 University of Louisville in the Final Four game on Sunday.
In anticipation of a win in the team's first Final Four game, Mayor Bates has wagered a bet against Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer.
Bates is betting 10 bottles of Berkeley wine that the Cal Bears can beat the Louisville Cardinals to advance to the championship game.
If Cal wins, Bates is poised to receive 10 bottles of Kentucky bourbon.
"I can already taste the bourbon now," Bates said in a statement released Thursday.
Cal advanced to its first Final Four with a 65-62 overtime victory on Monday over the University of Georgia, which upset No. 1 Stanford University last weekend.
The Golden Bears' game on Sunday is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. PDT and will be broadcast live on ESPN.
Antioch: Parents of Three Autistic Children Sue Antioch District Over Alleged Abuse By Teacher
The parents of three autistic kindergarteners have sued the Antioch Unified School District, a former teacher and four administrators over alleged abuse of the children by the teacher.
The civil rights lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco on Wednesday.
It alleges that teacher Theresa Allen-Caulboy struck, pinched and bruised the three autistic children in her special-education class at Mno Grant Elementary School last fall and in January.
Among other allegations, the lawsuit claims Allen-Caulboy struck a 5-year-old boy identified as M.E., "repeatedly held him on the ground with her knee and forcibly gouged his face" last fall.
It alleges that on Jan. 17, she pinched another 5-year-old boy, A.S., on his nipple in an attempt to make him obey her.
Both boys began showing anxiety and significant behavior changes after entering Allen-Caulboy's class that fall, the lawsuit says.
The lawsuit alleges the teacher also used demeaning language to her students and sometimes called A.S. a "retard."
Allen-Caulboy is additionally alleged to have caused unspecified physical injuries to a 5-year-old girl, L.C., in December and "multiple bruises" in January.
The child told her mother that the teacher "had squeezed her elbow, which left a visible bruise, and pushed her down," the lawsuit says.
The alleged elbow-bruising incident occurred on Jan. 18, according to internal school district e-mails obtained by the families' lawyers.
On that same day, the district informed Allen-Caulboy in a letter that she was being placed on administrative leave during an investigation of allegations of "inappropriate and abusive interactions with and treatment of" her students.
Allen-Caulboy resigned on Feb. 13, according to another school district letter.
The letters were obtained by the families' attorneys. Antioch police Sgt. Tony Morefield said police have conducted a criminal investigation of the allegations and have now referred the case to the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office for possible filing of charges.
"We've looked at every aspect," said Morefield, but he declined to say which suspect or incidents were referred to the district attorney.
In addition to the district and Allen-Caulboy, the defendants in the suit are school Principal Michael Green, district Special Education Director David Wax, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources Keith Rogenski and Special Education Coordinator Kai Montgomery.
The lawsuit accuses the administrators of failing to report the suspected child abuse to authorities, as required by law, and trying to prevent parents from reporting their suspicions to police.
"It's their job to report," said Peter Alfert, an attorney for the families.
SJ: Man Charged in Rampages at Walmart, Gas Station
A man was charged Thursday with attempted murder and other crimes for alleged violent rampages at a Walmart store and a gas station in two separate San Jose incidents, according to the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office.
The district attorney's office filed the 12-count complaint Thursday against Haamid Ade Zaid, 33, a San Jose resident, and offered new details about his rampage at the Walmart store at 777 Story Road on Easter Sunday.
Ten of the 12 counts have to do with the rampage at Walmart.
For that incident, prosecutors charged Zaid with two counts of attempted murder and three counts of assault with a deadly weapon for allegedly using a metal club to bludgeon three people at the Walmart.
The complaint also lists three charges of hit-and-run, one count of reckless driving and one count of vandalism because Zaid allegedly caused more than $65,000 in damage to glass doors and windows at the Walmart, according to prosecutors.
The other two counts -- assault with a deadly weapon and felony vandalism -- stem from an incident on Dec. 16, when prosecutors said Zaid crashed into a car at the intersection of Hillsdale and Meridian avenues in San Jose and then drove through the double glass doors of a Chevron gas station store at 735 W. Capitol Expressway.
Two people were injured in that incident.
Zaid was arraigned on all of the charges Thursday at the Hall of Justice in San Jose.
A judge denied him bail and set a plea hearing for April 10. According to the district attorney's office, Zaid's actions leading up to the crash into Walmart began at about 11 a.m. on Easter Sunday.
Witnesses reported seeing him driving a 1974 Oldsmobile Cutlass recklessly through a neighborhood in East San Jose and then others watched him drive in the Walmart parking lot, according to prosecutors.
Zaid allegedly veered around the crowded lot, barely missing some people, then rammed into a car, stopped, revved the Oldsmobile's engine, sped forward and crashed through the store's front glass doors, prosecutors said.
He then allegedly backed the car up, stopped again, drove further inside the store and finally became stuck in a tangle of shopping carts, according to the district attorney's office.
Zaid exited his car and began to swing a metal club, striking at least three people and knocking a store employee unconscious, prosecutors said.
According to a San Jose police report filed in support of the complaint, one of the victims was a store employee on his way to lunch when he witnessed the car crash into the store.
The employee told police he walked toward the smoking, wrecked car, noticed people fleeing from the store and then suffered injuries to his head and shoulder but could not remember what happened.
Napa: Man Shot By Police Officer Remains in Critical Condition
A man who was shot by a Napa police officer Tuesday remains in critical condition at the Queen of the Valley Medical Center Thursday, Napa County sheriff's Capt. Tracey Stuart said Thursday afternoon.
Pablo Ramirez, 37, who is believed to be a Napa resident, was shot once in the upper right chest by officer around 8:10 p.m. in a parking lot off Gasser Drive in Napa, Stuart said.
Ramirez was one of three men who were in a Honda that was under surveillance by the Napa Special Investigations Bureau.
The bureau's agents had information that a person in the Honda, Ramirez, had a felony warrant for his arrest for violating his probation for an assault with a deadly weapon conviction, Stuart said.
Four agents approached the car to arrest Ramirez who was seated in the front passenger seat, Stuart said.
Ramirez was shot in the chest during an altercation with one of the agents, Stuart said.
The initial report from the hospital was that Ramirez was expected to recover, but he was determined to be in critical condition, Stuart said.
Ramirez was in possession of methamphetamine at the time of the shooting, Stuart said.
The Napa police officer, who is a member of the Napa Special Investigations Bureau, was placed on paid administrative leave.
The driver of the Honda had a misdemeanor traffic warrant for his arrest and was booked into the Napa County Department of Corrections, Stuart said.
The other passenger in the Honda was released.
The Napa County Major Crimes Task Force, comprised of the Napa Police Department, Napa County Sheriff's Office, Calistoga Police Department and the Napa County District Attorney's Office, is investigating the officer-involved shooting.
SF: Season Tickets Sell Out For 49ers' Last Season at Candlestick Park
The San Francisco 49ers announced Wednesday that season tickets have sold out for the team's final year at Candlestick Park, but a limited number of single-game tickets will go on sale later this month.
The 49ers will sell some single-game tickets on April 27 at 10 a.m. on Ticketmaster.com.
The team is also encouraging fans to reserve seats at the 49ers' new stadium in Santa Clara, where tens of thousands of personal seat licenses have already been purchased at the 68,500-seat stadium opening in 2014.
The 49ers will also be conducting a "Farewell to Candlestick" campaign this year by celebrating the top 10 moments at the stadium, which began hosting the team's games in 1971.
Fans can vote on their top 10 moments by visiting the campaign's website at www.farewellcandlestick.com
Hayward: Man With Four Drunk Driving Convictions Charged With Murder
A man with four felony drunken driving convictions has been charged with murder for an incident in Hayward last month in which he allegedly rammed a police cruiser and an officer who fired at the man's car killed his passenger.
Arthur Pakman, 22, of Oakley, also is accused of two counts of assault with a deadly weapon, driving under the influence of alcohol and a clause alleging that he drove while his blood-alcohol content was 0.15 percent or more, well above the 0.08 percent level at which people are considered too drunk to drive.
In addition, the Alameda County District Attorney's Office alleges that Pakman has four drunken driving convictions in Contra Costa County, one in 2010 and three in 2008.
Those prior convictions could increase his state prison sentence if he's convicted. Hayward police said that at about 3:30 a.m. on March 3, a patrol officer and a civilian ride-along passenger followed a vehicle driving erratically on Foothill Boulevard.
The driver, who was later identified as Pakman, drove into the driveway of a business and stopped the vehicle, police said.
There also was a passenger who was later identified as 19-year-old Shawn Joseph Jetmore Stoddard-Nunez, who was a friend of Pakman.
When the officer got out of the patrol car, Pakman allegedly drove directly at the police vehicle in an apparent attempt to ram it, police said.
The officer fired several shots at the oncoming vehicle, which crashed into the patrol car door and caused a minor injury to Stoddard-Nunez, according to police.
Pakman then sped onto Foothill Boulevard, where additional responding officers saw him lose control of his vehicle and crash into a sign near Fletcher Boulevard, police said.
Pakman then got out of the driver's seat and ran a short distance before collapsing from injuries sustained in the crash, police said. Stoddard-Nunez suffered at least one gunshot wound and died at the scene, police said.
Prosecutors charged Pakman with murder under the provocative act doctrine, which holds that a suspect can be charged with murder if they engage in reckless or dangerous conduct that provokes a victim to shoot in self-defense, killing an innocent bystander.
Pakman, who is a student according to court records, was arraigned in Alameda County Superior Court in Hayward on Wednesday and is scheduled to return to court next Wednesday to enter a plea.
Bay Area Friday Morning Weather Forecast
Mostly cloudy skies are likely in the Bay Area this morning. Highs are expected to be in the upper 50s, with westerly winds up to 10 mph.
Mostly cloudy skies are likely this evening, with lows around 50 and westerly winds up to 15 mph. Mostly cloudy skies are expected Saturday morning, with a slight chance of showers.
Highs are likely to be around 60, with southwest winds up to 10 mph.
Check out some of our most popular blogs:
Paid for by Phil Ting for Assembly 2012. FPPC ID# 1343137