All name change requests not for the reason of marriage are conducted through the Superior Court of San Francisco, which is located at 400 McAllister Street, San Francisco, CA 94102.

You can file a petition for a name change and you will then be assigned a court hearing. During your court hearing, you will need to show justifiable reason for your desired name change. The process is complicated and there are several forms you need to fill out and procedures you need to follow, so check with the Superior Court of California website to verify that you are following the necessary steps.

If you are attempting to change the name of your child, you will need to inform the other parent so he or she may have the opportunity to contest the name change if desired.


Sign up for our weekly newsletter and join the conversation on Facebook.


Check out some of our newest Blogs:

     Universal Internet Access for All San Franciscans

     Why is San Francisco So Dirty?

     SFPark – The iPhone App for Smart Parking in San Francisco

     Food Truck Rodeo Review – Off the Grid