To change your name on your birth certificate you must first obtain a legal name change through the court. This is called a Court ordered name change. For information about the San Francisco court process for name changes visit

Once you have a Court ordered name change, you can change the name of a person listed on a San Francisco birth certificate.

The San Francisco Office of Vital Records is responsible for registering all births in San Francisco. For more information about the process to change a name on a San Francisco birth certificate, including the legal process to obtain a Court ordered name change, visit the Department of Public Health Office of Vital Records website.


Sign up for our weekly newsletter and join the conversation on Facebook.


Check out some of our newest Blogs:

     Universal Internet Access for All San Franciscans

     Why is San Francisco So Dirty?

     SFPark – The iPhone App for Smart Parking in San Francisco

     Food Truck Rodeo Review – Off the Grid