Medical Examiner’s Office Identifies Body Found In The Bay In Nov. As Software Developer Daniel Ha

The San Francisco medical examiner’s office has identified a man found floating in the San Francisco Bay in November as Daniel Ha, who was reported missing after Halloween night, officials said on Sunday.

The U.S. Coast Guard and San Francisco fire crews found Ha’s body in the Bay on Nov. 11. At the time, Ha’s brother, Mark, wrote on the Facebook page, “Find Dan Ha” that while his face and body were indistinguishable, the clothes, wallet contents, and phone matched his brother’s personal belongings.

On Sunday, a post on the page read, “We are relieved that Dan will be returning to us so his body can finally [sic] put to rest. We will always be thankful for the support of all of you and the many friends who knew Dan, and we hope that his legacy of love will continue to live inside of us all.”

Daniel Ha had been missing since Oct. 31, when he was last seen leaving his apartment in the city’s South of Market neighborhood, police said.

A flier posted online by friends and family said Daniel Ha had been known to experience dizzy spells when he became light-headed and had trouble speaking. He’s never been known to disappear though, according to police.

Officials from the medical examiner’s office said the case is still under investigation and the cause and manner of death are pending.

According to the website,, Daniel Ha was born in Abbotsford, British Columbia, and is the second of four children in the Ha family.

He graduated from South High Community School in Worcester, Massachusetts, at the top of his class and went on to receive a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from Stanford University.

He had lived in California for eight years and at the time of his death, he was employed as an iOS software developer at Metromile in San Francisco.

The webpage describes Daniel Ha as a “brilliant engineer with a big heart.”

He was 26 at the time of his death and resident of San Francisco, according to the medical examiner’s office.

3 People Injured After Deck Collapsed In Excelsior District

Three people were transported to a hospital Sunday evening after a deck collapsed in San Francisco’s Excelsior District, a fire dispatcher said.

Emergency medical crews responded to the report at 5:36 p.m. at 262 Vienna St., the dispatcher said.

He said three people were transported with serious injuries to San Francisco General Hospital but said he did not know the extent of the injuries.

The dispatcher said a building inspector was called to respond to the scene.

According to the San Francisco Assessor’s database, the building at 262 Vienna St. was built in 1900.

No One Home When One-Alarm Fire Broke Out

No one was home at an Antioch residence when a fire broke out Sunday evening, a fire official said.

Fire Marshal Robert Marshall said crews responded to a report of a one-alarm fire at 110 W. 20th St. at 6:55 p.m.

Marshall said fire crews found fire and smoke coming from one side of the building.

Firefighters got the fire under control by 7:15 p.m. and there were no injuries to residents or firefighters, Marshall said.

Marshall said there was no estimate for damage available Sunday night and fire officials are still investigating the cause of the blaze.

30-Day Closure Of City Park Starts Monday Due To Health, Security Concerns

Starting on Monday, a San Rafael park will be closed for 30 days to address “health and security issues” that have come up from illegal activity, according to city officials.

The city’s community services director authorized the temporary closure of Boyd Memorial Park that has become the site of littering, abandoned drug paraphernalia and vandalism, officials said.

Over the next month the park will be cleaned and city officials will work to enforce ordinances to help restore public access to the facility.

The City Council is expected to hear a report at its Feb. 2 meeting on short- and long-term goals for the site.

3 Injured In Vehicle Vs. Motorcycle Collision

Three people were hospitalized after a motorcycle crashed into a car Sunday afternoon and then burst into flames, a Vallejo fire official said.

Fire crews responded to a report of a collision at 1:05 p.m. at the intersection of Georgia Street and Roney Avenue, said Battalion Chief Cliff Campbell.

Campbell said two people, a man and a woman, were on the motorcycle and one woman and a juvenile female were in the car.

When the motorcycle ran into the car, the motorcycle’s fuel tank appeared to have ruptured and both the vehicle and motorcycle were fully engulfed in flames by the time fire crews arrived, Campbell said.

The juvenile refused medical treatment at the scene, but Campbell said one woman, who was in the vehicle, was transported to a Kaiser facility with minor injuries.

The man and the woman on the motorcycle were both transported separately to the NorthBay Medical Center in Fairfield with major injuries.

Campbell said a medical helicopter had been called to the scene but since the ground ambulances arrived first, they transported the crash victims.

The fire from the collision spread to nearby bushes and was threatening an adjacent home, but Campbell said firefighters extinguished it within minutes and prevented the flames from spreading.

Man Arrested For Allegedly Attempting To Kill Ex-Girlfriend At Her Home

A 33-year-old man armed with a knife was arrested for allegedly attempting to kill his ex-girlfriend in Santa Rosa early Sunday morning, a police sergeant said.

Officers responded to a report of a domestic dispute in the 500 block of Howard Street around 1:40 a.m., Santa Rosa police Sgt. Robert Reynolds.

Police were notified by an area resident, who heard yelling and glass breaking, Reynolds said.

The victim in the incident also called police dispatch and said her ex-boyfriend was attempting to break into her home, according to Reynolds.

Arriving officers spoke with the ex-boyfriend, later identified as Sonoma County resident Michael Cabezud, who confessed that he intended to kill the victim at her home, police said.

The victim told officers that Cabezud was breaking windows to enter the home and yelled through the door that he wanted to kill her, according to police.

He was subsequently found with a knife, Reynolds said.

Cabezud was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, threats with the intent to commit great bodily injury or death, burglary and vandalism, according to jail records.

He was booked into Sonoma County Jail where he is being held without bail, according to jail records.

Man Struck, Killed By Southbound Caltrain This Afternoon

A man was struck and killed by a Caltrain in Palo Alto Sunday afternoon, a transit agency spokeswoman said.

Southbound Caltrain No. 802 hit the man who was trespassing on the tracks at Charleston Road around 12:45 p.m., Caltrain spokeswoman Jayme Ackemann said.

Tracks in both directions were initially closed, but as of about 2:20 p.m. one track was reopened near the collision scene, she said.

Both tracks had reopened and were operating a normal speeds as of 4 p.m., according to the agency’s official Twitter account.

The Santa Clara County medical examiner’s office has been called to the scene.

No injuries were reported to all 300 passengers on Caltrain No. 802 in addition to two conductors and an engineer, according to Ackemann.

The involved train was supposed to move through a crossover and single-track through an area in Mountain View where track work was taking place by the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority, Ackemann said.

Caltrain No. 802 will continue making all scheduled stops to San Jose, according to transit officials.

The VTA set up a bus bridge in the northbound and southbound directions for passengers between the Palo Alto and San Antonio Caltrain stations while the tracks were closed.

Bicyclist Killed In Hwy 85 Collision Was Under The Influence

A bicyclist killed in a collision with a car on state Highway 85 in Sunnyvale early Sunday morning was determined to be under the influence of alcohol, a California Highway Patrol spokesman said.

Officers responded to a report of the collision between a vehicle and bicyclist on southbound Highway 85 north of Fremont Avenue around 2:30 a.m., CHP Officer Art Montiel said.

A 34-year-old woman was driving a Ford Fusion and struck a bicyclist traveling on the same lane, Montiel said.

The bicyclist, a 24-year-old Merced man, suffered fatal injuries, according to Montiel.

The man’s name has not been released by the Santa Clara County medical examiner’s office pending notification of his next of kin.

The woman was the sole occupant of the car and was not injured, Montiel said.

Two lanes were blocked for about two hours after the collision.

House Fire Displaces Family Saturday Afternoon

A house fire in Fairfield on Saturday afternoon displaced a family, fire officials said.

Firefighters responded to a report of a residential structure fire in the 900 block of Oregon Street shortly after 4:30 p.m. Saturday, fire officials said.

Arriving crews found smoke coming out of the home and worked to extinguish the fire with other units, according to fire officials.

The home was deemed uninhabitable because of heat and smoke damage sustained in the blaze, fire officials said.

The American Red Cross was called to assist a family displaced by the fire, according to fore officials.

The blaze caused $35,000 in damage to property and contents, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Weather Forecast For The San Francisco Bay Area

Skies will be partly cloudy today with highs in the lower to mid 60s and northeast winds of 5 to 15 mph.

Skies will be mostly cloudy tonight with lows in the lower 50s and southeast winds of 5 to 10 mph.

Skies will be cloudy Tuesday with a slight chance of showers in the morning. Highs will be in the lower 60s with south winds of 5 to 10 mph.