News Roundup for Monday, July 11th, 2016

Golden State Warriors star forward Draymond Green arrested

Golden State Warriors star forward Draymond Green was arrested in
Michigan early Sunday morning on suspicion of assaulting a man, local police
said today.
Green was arrested at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday for the alleged
assault in the downtown business district of East Lansing, Michigan,
according to East Lansing police Lt. Scott Wriggelsworth.
East Lansing is home to Michigan State University, the alma mater
of Green, who helped lead the Warriors to the NBA championship in 2015 and
was named to his first All-Star team this year as Golden State won an
NBA-record 73 regular season games before losing in the NBA Finals.
Wriggelsworth said the victim in the alleged assault Sunday was
not injured.
Green was taken to East Lansing City Jail, where he posted $200
bail and was released. He has 10 days from Sunday to be arraigned in the
case, which will be prosecuted by the East Lansing City Attorney’s Office,
according to Wriggelsworth.
The Warriors issued a statement after news broke this morning of
Green’s arrest.
“We are aware of news involving Draymond Green in Michigan over
the weekend. At this point, we are collecting information and will have no
further comment until we have a better understanding of the situation,” the
team said.

Woman Kidnapped

Four suspects were booked into the county jail Friday night or
early Saturday morning on suspicion of kidnapping a Vallejo woman last week
for ransom, police said.
Officers arrested 26-year-old Stockton man Emmanuel Espinoza,
32-year-old Sacramento resident Jalon Brown, 23-year-old Sacramento resident
Larry Young and 27-year-old Vallejo resident Lovely Rauzol.
John Babb of San Francisco notified police at 12:25 p.m. on July 1
that his mother Elvira Babb, 57, of Vallejo had been kidnapped for ransom.
John, 36, received a text message at 8:45 p.m. June 30 telling him
that his mother had been kidnapped, police said.
The person who sent the text demanded money, and told him if he
got in touch with police or did not provide the ransom, his mother would be
John went to his mother’s home at 101 Daniels Ave. in Vallejo that
evening and found her gone and her small dog dead, police said.
No signs of forced entry were present.
Elvira is still missing, police said. A co-worker appears to be
the last person who saw her when they dropped her off at about 3 p.m. June 29
at Seafood City Supermarket at 3495 Sonoma Blvd. in Vallejo.
Elvira lives about eight blocks away. She works in Napa, police
Lt. Jeff Bassett said.
Espinoza, the primary suspect, has not told police Elvira’s
location and police are hopeful that she is still alive.
The kidnappers demanded less than $100,000 in ransom, Bassett
The four suspects allegedly have criminal records and allegedly
are acquainted with each other, according to Bassett.
Police have been assisted by the FBI, Fairfield police, the Solano
County Sheriff’s Office, Sacramento police and the U.S. Marshals Service.
Police are urging anyone with information about the whereabouts of
Elvira or about the case to get in touch with Vallejo police Detective Terry
Poyser at (707) 648-4080. Anyone with emergency information is asked to call

Protesters Blocked Bay Bridge Exit Saturday

Protesters who Saturday were denouncing recent police brutality in
the U.S. disrupted traffic in San Francisco, especially near the Bay Bridge,
according to police and the California Highway Patrol.
Saturday evening protesters blocked the Fremont Street exit from
westbound Interstate Highway 80 and the Bay Bridge, CHP officials said on
Twitter at 5:26 p.m.
The exit reopened sometime before 6:30 p.m.
Saturday afternoon protesters blocked the Essex Street on-ramp to
eastbound I-80 and the Bay Bridge, stopping Muni service on the No. 25 line
to Treasure Island and at least some bus service to the East Bay.
Earlier, around 2 p.m., the protesters blocked traffic near Fifth
and Bryant streets, forcing CHP officers to close the Fifth Street on-ramp to
eastbound I-80.
That on-ramp reopened sometime before 3:11 p.m., according to CHP
CHP Officer Vu Williams said the protesters did not get on the Bay
Bridge and at about 7 p.m. the protest seemed to be coming to an end.
The protesters also caused detours on the city’s Muni bus lines 8,
30, 45 and 47, but those detours have also cleared, Muni officials said.
The protest follows another that was held Friday evening, in which
hundreds of people marched from Justin Herman Plaza to City Hall to denounce
police brutality in the wake of recent police shootings in Minnesota and
Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

News by Bay City News