A Los Angeles Dodgers fan who was stabbed to death after his team played the San Francisco Giants at AT&T Park on Wednesday night was the son of a Dodgers security guard, team officials said today.

Jonathan Denver, 24, was stabbed around 11:35 p.m. near Third and Harrison streets, four blocks from the ballpark where the Giants and Dodgers had played earlier in the night, with the Giants winning 6-4.

Denver, who was wearing Dodgers clothing, was apparently stabbed after an argument related to the teams' rivalry, San Francisco police Chief Greg Suhr said today.

Suhr said this afternoon that one person is being arrested on suspicion of murder for the killing.

One other person was detained for questioning, and two others are still being sought, he said.

The Dodgers issued a statement this afternoon saying that Denver was the son of a team security guard.

"There is no rational explanation for this senseless act which resulted in Jonathan's death," team officials wrote. "The pain that this has caused his family and friends is unimaginable. Words are not enough to describe our sadness."

The Giants also released a statement about the killing.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time," the Giants' statement said. "While details are still emerging, we want to be clear that there is absolutely no place in our community for this type of senseless violence."

Chief Suhr said earlier that Denver was with his father, brother and two other people at the Giants-Dodgers game but had left with them in the eighth inning and gone to a nearby bar.

After exiting the bar, the group encountered a group of Giants fans and there was "a back-and-forth" about the teams' rivalry, Suhr said.

A minor fight erupted but was quickly broken up, the chief said.

Suhr said that what happened next remains unclear, but that one of the groups followed the other group and a second altercation ensued minutes later, during which Denver was stabbed.

He was taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where he died.

Suhr said two people were detained a short time later at Second and Howard streets and, during questioning by police, one "made incriminating statements" and will be arrested later today.

The name of the suspect was has not yet been released.

Suhr did not release any other information about the suspects except that they were in San Francisco in a vehicle registered in Lodi.

The death of Denver, who worked as a plumber's apprentice for North Coast Plumbing, Heating & Sheet Metal Inc. in Fort Bragg, is the latest violent incident to mar the Giants-Dodgers rivalry.

In 2011, Giants fan Bryan Stow was beaten after the team's season opener at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, and suffered severe brain injuries.

Two people have been charged in the beating and are awaiting trial.

The Giants held a fundraiser for Stow at Tuesday's game against the Dodgers and have two more planned at tonight's game and during their season finale against the San Diego Padres.

Suhr said police will continue sending undercover officers wearing Dodgers gear to tonight's game, along with other plainclothes officers, to ensure safety in and around the ballpark.

"There's no place at these games for violence," he said. "Nobody's life should be at stake."


Sign up for our weekly newsletter and join the conversation on Facebook.

Check out some of our most popular blogs:

     We Built a Stronger SF Economy on Smart Government Investments

     The BART That Could Have Been

     Run For Your Life! (For Fun)

     Love Muni, Hate Muni or Somewhere in Between? Let the SFMTA Know!