The AppMyCity! Prize: Apps Making Good Cities Great
In today’s digital age, mobile apps are an amazing source of innovation and ingenuity.
Here at Reset, we have been a long-time supporter of various Gov 2.0 apps for improving urban life, such as smartphone apps that prevent getting your car towed to Google apps that help cities make the move from Gov 1.0 to Gov 2.0.
To encourage this incredible force of creativity, the New Cities Foundation launched the AppMyCity! app contest. AppMyCity! will reward new mobile applications that improve the urban experience by connecting people, addressing issues or working towards sustainability.
Getting into the AppMyCity! Contest
Your application has to meet three requirements:
1. Enhance the urban experience. Your app must focus on one of these categories:
- Art and Entertainment
2. Must be available on iOS, Android or Windows Phone.
3. Must have been developed in 2011 or 2012.
How to Apply
1. To submit, just tweet:
[NAME OF APP] is a candidate for #appmycity! @newcitiesfound
Then send a short (1-page) e-mail to the New Cities Foundation at [email protected] explaining what your app does, how it matches the requirements and why it should win.
2. Is your app multinational? No problem! New Cities Foundation is fluent in English, Chinese, French, German, Bengali, Portuguese and Spanish… Cool.
- 12 March: App submission begins!
- 22 April: Submissions close
- 25 April: Three finalists are announced and invited to Paris for the New Cities Summit 2012 from May 14 to 16. (visit www.newcitiessummit2012.org). The finalists will be invited, all expenses paid, to present their app on the big stage!
- 14 May: Finalist presentations: Each presentation will be 7 minutes and should be supported by visuals for a (very) big screen. Finalists will be judged by a panel of world-class technologists, editors, city leaders, academics and entrepreneurs.
- 15 May: The winner of the AppMyCity! prize will be announced during a gala dinner at the Grand Palais.
The winner of AppMyCity! will receive 5,000 Euros to help promote their app and an invitation to a week at a world-class research lab.
Learn more about the contest here.